Enhancement of EDM Performance by Using Copper-Silver Composite Electrode
Engineering and Technology Journal,
2020, Volume 38, Issue 9, Pages 1352-1358
AbstractDischarge Machining is a non-traditional machining technique and usually applied for hard metals and complex shapes that difficult to machining in the traditional cutting process. This process depends on different parameters that can affect the material removal rate and surface roughness. The electrode material is one of the important parameters in Electro –Discharge Machining (EDM). In this paper, the experimental work carried out by using a composite material electrode and the workpiece material from a high-speed steel plate. The cutting conditions: current (10 Amps, 12 Amps, 14 Amps), pulse on time (100 μs, 150 μs, 200 μs), pulse off time 25 μs, casting technique has been carried out to prepare the composite electrodes copper-sliver. The experimental results showed that Copper-Sliver (weight ratio70:30) gives better results than commonly electrode copper, Material Removal Rate (MRR) Copper-Sliver composite electrode reach to 0.225 gm/min higher than the pure Copper electrode. The lower value of the tool wear rate achieved with the composite electrode is 0.0001 gm/min. The surface roughness of the workpiece improved with a composite electrode compared with the pure electrode.
2. M. S. Sohan, V. N. Gaitonde, B. Siddeswarappa, and A. S. Deshpande , “ Investigations into the effect of tool shapes with size factor consideration in ink electrical discharge machining (EDM) process,” International Journal Advance Manufacturing Technology , Vol. 45, pp. 1131-1145, 2009.
3. S. Das, M. Klotz, F. Klocke, “EDM simulation: finite element-based calculation of deformation, microstructure and residual stresses,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology , Vol. 142, pp. 434-451, 2003.
4. K. Ojha, R. K. Garg , K. K. Singh , “MRR improvement in sinking electrical discharge machining: a review,” Journal of Minerals and Materials Characterization and Engineering , Vol. 9, pp.709-739, 2010.
5. V. K. Jain , “Advanced Machining Processes,” Allied Publisher, New Delhi, India, 2005.
6. H . E. Hofy , “Advanced Machining Processes: Nontraditional and Hybrid Machining Processes,” McGraw-Hill Companies, New Delhi, 2005.
7. P. Goyal, “Enhancement of MRR in EDM by composite material electrode on die steel,” International Journal of Science, Engineering and Technology Research (IJSETR), Vol 3, Issue 10, October 2014.
8. J. Marafona , C. Wykes , “A new method of optimizing material removal rate using EDM with copper– tungsten electrodes,” International Journal of Machine Tool and Manufacture, Vol. 40, Issue 2, pp. 153-164, 1999.
9. A. K. Khanra , B . R . , Sarkar , B. Bhattacharya, L C . Pathak , M. M . Godkhindi , “Performance of ZrB2–Cu composite as an EDM electrode,” Journal of Materials Processing Technology, 183:122-126 , 2007
10. H. C. Tsai , B. H. Yan, F. Y. Huang, Huan, “ EDM performance of Cr/Cu-based composite electrodes,” International Journal of Machine Tools & Manufacture. 43, pp. 245-25, 2003.
11. N. Beri, S. Maheshwari , C. Sharma, and Kumar, “Optimization of electrical discharge machining process with CuW powder metallurgy electrode using grey relation theory”. International Journal of Machining and Machinability of Materials, Vol. 9, No.1/2, pp. 103 – 115, 2011.
12. J. Prasanna, S . Rajamanickam, K. O. Amit , and R. G . Karthick, “Sathya Narayanan P V. MRR and TWR evaluation on electrical discharge machining of Ti-6Al-4V using tungsten : copper composite electrode,” Frontiers in Automobile and Mechanical Engineering, IOP Conference Series: Materials Science and Engineering, PP. 197 – 012087, 2017.
13. J. Laxman, and K. G. Raj, “Mathematical modeling and analysis of EDM process parameters based on Taguchi design of experiments,” Journal of Physics: Conference Series 662, 2015.
14. P. Goyal, and P. Mohan, “Effect of composite material electrode on common die steel in EDM: Investigating the effect of composite material electrode on common die steel material in EDM,” Journal of Manufacturing Process, Publisher: LAP LAMBERT Academic Publishing, September 17, 2019
- Article View: 5
- PDF Download: 0