Document Type : Research Paper
Mechanical Engineering Dept., Technical College of Engineering, Sulaimani Polytechnic University, Sulaimani, Iraq.
Resistance spot welding (RSW) is one of the most significant and common metal joining methods used in industries. The present paper discusses the comparative performance of resistance spot welding electrodes of nontraditional design with the traditional one of 8 mm contact diameter in welding a 1.5 mm thick low carbon steel sheet used in automobile structural bodies and bridges. The modified electrode tip surface center was machined to have three different holes of 2, 3, and 4 mm depth and three different diameters of 2, 4, and 6 mm producing nine different hollow electrode dimensions. As well as the influence of pre-heating temperature on the mechanical properties of the weld joint was investigated by considering the other main parameters of welding time, current, and force are constant. The shear tensile test and torsion test examinations are carried out to investigate the mechanical properties. Also, to interrupt the results, a macrograph examination was conducted to determine the nugget size formation. The results show that the increase or decrease in the strength of the weld joint is greatly influenced by the proper selection of the modified electrode geometries. Also, the results indicated that the maximum improvement in shear tensile strength and torsional strength is about 140% and 150% compared to the traditional one. Furthermore, pre-heating processes helped decrease the contact resistance at the faying surfaces and improve the weld tensile strength and torsional strength to about 141% and 171% at 200 oC. Moreover, improvement may be achieved by slightly increasing pre-heating temperatures
- The min. and max. improvement in tensile shear strength was (103–140) %.
- The min. and max. improvement in the torsional strength was (103-149)%.
- The preheating treatment of the lab joint leads to improving the tensile and torsional strengths of the weld joint.
- The preheating treatment showed an improvement range of (115-141) % in tensile shear strength and (124-171) % in torsional strength.
- Summerville, P. Compston, M. Doolan, A comparison of resistance spot weld quality assessment techniques, Procedia Manuf., 29 (2019) 305-312. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.promfg.2019.02.142
- Feujofack Kemda, N. Barka, M. Jahazi, D. J. M. Osmani, and M. International, Multi-objective optimization of process parameters in resistance spot welding of A36 mild steel and hot dipped galvanized steel sheets using non-dominated sorting genetic algorithm, Met. Mater. Int., 28 (2022) 487-502. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12540-021-00986-9
- A. Khan, L. Xu, Y.-J. Chao, K. Broach, Numerical simulation of resistance spot welding process, Numer. Heat Transf. A: Appl., 37 (2000) 425-446. https://doi.org/10.1080/104077800274145
- Pandey, M. Khan, K. Moeed, Investigation of the effect of current on tensile strength and nugget diameter of spot welds made on AISI-1008 steel sheets, Int. J. Tech. Res. Appl., 1 (2013) 1-8.
- Pouranvari, S. Sobhani, F.Goodarzi, Resistance spot welding of MS1200 martensitic advanced high strength steel: microstructure-properties relationship, J. Manuf. Process., 31 (2018) 867-874. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmapro.2018.01.009
- Paveebunvipak, V. J. M. Uthaisangsuk, and Design, Microstructure based modeling of deformation and failure of spot-welded advanced high strength steels sheets, Mater. Des., 160 (2018) 731-751. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2018.09.052
- Ling, Y. Li, Z. Luo, Y. Feng, Z. J. M. Wang, and M. Processes, Resistance element welding of 6061 aluminum alloy to uncoated 22MnMoB boron steel, Mater. Manuf. Process., 31 (2016) 2174-2180. https://doi.org/10.1080/10426914.2016.1151044
- Zhang, F. Yao, Z. Ren, H. J. M. Yu, Effect of welding current on weld formation, microstructure, and mechanical properties in resistance spot welding of CR590T/340Y galvanized dual phase steel, Materials (Basel), 11 (2018) 2310. https://doi.org/10.3390/ma11112310
- Al-Sabur, M. Slobodyan, S. Chhalotre, and M. J. M. T. P. Verma, Contact resistance prediction of zirconium joints welded by small scale resistance spot welding using ANN and RSM models, Mater. Today: Proc., 47 (2021) 5907-5911. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2021.04.431
- Hamedi , M. Atashparva, A review of electrical contact resistance modeling in resistance spot welding, Welding in the World, 61 (2017) 269-290. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40194-016-0419-4
- B. Watmon, C. Wandera, J. J. Apora, Characteristics of resistance spot welding using annular recess electrodes, J. Adv. Join. Proc., 2 (2020) 100035, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jajp.2020.100035
- Ren, D. Zhao, C. Li, L. Liu, and K. J. J. o. M. P. Zhao, Resistance ceramic-filled annular welding of thin steel sheets, J. Manuf. Process., 45 (2019) 588-594. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmapro.2019.07.043
- Watanabe, T. Amago, Y. Ishii, H. Takao, T. Yasui, and M. Fukumoto, Improvement of cross-tension strength using concave electrode in resistance spot welding of high-strength steel sheets, AIP Conf. Proc., 1709,2016,020003. https://doi.org/10.1063/1.4941202
- Deng, Y. Li, B. Carlson, and D. J. W. J. Sigler, Effects of electrode surface topography on aluminum resistance spot welding, Weld. J., 97 (2018) 120-132. https://doi.org/10.29391/2018.97.011
- Li, Z. Wei, Y. Li, Q. Shen, Z. J. Lin, M. Transfer, Effects of cone angle of truncated electrode on heat and mass transfer in resistance spot welding, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf., 65 (2013) 400-408. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2013.06.01
- Zhang, L. Wei, G. Xu, C. J. M. Wang, Connection Status Research of the Resistance Spot Welding Joint Based on a Rectangular Terminal Electrode, Metals, 9 (2019) 659. https://doi.org/10.3390/met9060659
- R. Chan, N. Scotchmer, J. C. Bohr, I. Khan, M. L. Kuntz, Y. J. S. X. S. Zhou, Effect of electrode geometry on resistance spot welding of AHSS, (2006) 7-4.
- Dutt, R. Saluja, Kh. Moeed, A Review on Effect of Preheating and/or Post Weld Heat Treatment (pwht) on Hardened steel, Int. J. Tech. Res. Appl., 1 (2019) 5-7.
- T. Lane, C.D. Sorensen, G.B .Hunter, S .Gedeon, T. W. Eagar, Cinematography of resistance spot welding of galvanized steel sheet, Weld. J., 66 (1987) 260s-265s.
- Nithin, C. J. Joseph, V. Remin Mathew, T. Saloop, Effect in Tensile Strength of Resistance Spot Welding of IS2062A Steel on Preheating and Water Quenching, Int. J. Res. Eng. Manag. Sci., 2 (2019) 286 - 288.
- Saleem, A. Majid, A. W. Malik, K. Bertilsson, An efficient method of spot welding Aluminium alloys with induction preheating, J. Electr. Syst., 12 (2016) 817-825.
- Jun, S. Rhee, Study on spatter reduction of resistance spot welding of SPRC440 using hemispherically concaved electrode, Sci. Technol. Weld. Join., 17 (2012) 333-337. https://doi.org/10.1179/1362171812Y.0000000012
- Kim, J. Yu, S. Rhee, Effect of a conically shaped hollow electrode on advanced high strength steel in three-sheet resistance spot welding, Int. J. Precis. Eng. Manuf., 17 (2016) 331-336. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12541-016-0041-9
- Al-Sabur, M. Slobodyan, S. Chhalotre, M. Verma ,Contact resistance prediction of zirconium joints welded by small scale resistance spot welding using ANN and RSM models, Mater. Today: Proc., 47 (2021) 5907-5911. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2021.04.431
- Pouranvari, A. Abedi, P. Marashi, M. J. S. Goodarzi, Effect of expulsion on peak load and energy absorption of low carbon steel resistance spot welds, Sci. Technol. Weld. Join., 13 (2008) 39-43. https://doi.org/10.1179/174329307X249342