Document Type : Research Paper
Materials Engineering Dept., University of Technology-Iraq, Alsina’a street, 10066 Baghdad, Iraq.
This study examines the effects of reinforcing PMMA acrylic resin with different Nanoparticle types: Silica (SiO2) (67.8nm), Titania (TiO2) (57.3nm), and Talc powders (TP) (80.1nm). This was done by using the ultrasonic mixing method for dispersing the nano-powder in the matrix and using them at three different proportions (0. 5, 1, and 1.5%) to improve the properties of PMMA composite materials for medical applications. The characteristic functional groups associated with Nano-ceramic particles and PMMA in the composite specimens were confirmed by FT-IR spectroscopy. Also, this research investigates some mechanical properties, including (tensile strength, compression strength, elastic modulus, hardness, and surface roughness), some physical properties (density and water absorption), and biological properties (antibacterial activity). The experimental work was performed on prepared specimens that may be employed for cartilaginous joint applications. The results revealed that all mechanical properties enhanced as the nanoparticles concentration was increased till it reached a maximum of 1.5%. The proportion of tensile strength and elastic modulus enhancement for 1.5% of (SiO2, TiO2, and Talc) is equal to (66.5%, 47.55% and 59.38%), (261.5, 315.38 and 388.4%), respectively. The compressive strength of composites increased by (49.3, 36.66, and 40.5%) for 1.5% (SiO2, TiO2, and Talc). The physical properties manifested that the increased content of reinforcing nanoparticles led to the raised water absorption, while the density values of PMMA nanocomposite decreased. Additionally, the biological results elucidated that the increased concentration led to the increased antibacterial activity of nanocomposite. Furthermore, the results concluded that adding 1.5% of SiO2 to a PMMA matrix improves the properties obtained.
- Applying ceramic nanoparticles as reinforcement to PMMA soft acrylic resin.
- Using the ultrasonic mixing method to dispersion nanoparticles into the matrix.
- Study the mechanical and physical characteristics of the nanocomposite samples.
- Identifying the biological activity of PMMA/Nano-ceramic powder by determining the antibacterial activity.
- K. Oleiwi, A. Hamad, H. Jabbar, and A. Rahman, Experimental Investigation of Flexural and Impact Properties of PMMA Reinforced by Bamboo and Rice Hush Powders, Int. J. Mech. Eng.Technol., 9 (2018) 559–568.
- Sa, Y., Yang, F., Wang, Y., Wolke, J.G.C., Jansen, J.A. 2018. Modifications of Poly(Methyl Methacrylate) Cement for Application in Orthopedic Surgery, Advances in Experimental Medicine and Biology, vol 1078, pp 119–134. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-0950-2_7
- S. Eil Bakhtiari, S. Karbasi, S. A. Hassanzadeh Tabrizi, R. Ebrahimi-Kahrizsangi, and H. Salehi, Evaluation of the effects of chitosan/multiwalled carbon nanotubes composite on physical, mechanical and biological properties of polymethyl methacrylate-based bone cements, Mater. Technol., 35 (2020) 267–280. https://doi.org/10.1080/10667857.2019.1678086
- Choudhary, S. K. Venkatraman, I. Bulygina, F. Senatov, S. Kaloshkin, and S. Swamiappan, Designing of porous PMMA/diopside bone cement for non-load bearing applications, J. Asian Ceram. Soc., 8 (2020) 862–872. https://doi.org/10.1080/21870764.2020.1793476
- Kadhum Alsaedi, S. Salih, and F. Hashim, Preparation and Characterization of Polymer Blend and Nano Composite Materials Based on PMMA Used for Bone Tissue Regeneration, Eng. Technol. J., 38 (2020) 501-509. https://doi.org/10.30684/etj.v38i4A.383
- Ahmed and W. Salih, Development the Mechanical Properties of the Acrylic Resin (PMMA) by Added Different Types of Nanoparticles, Used for Medical Applications, Eng. Technol. J., 40 (2021), 166–171. https://doi.org/10.30684/etj.v40i1.2017
- E. Nuñez-Anita, L. S. Acosta-Torres, J. Vilar-Pineda, J. C. Martínez-Espinosa, J. de la Fuente-Hernández, and V. M. Castaño, Toxicology of antimicrobial nanoparticles for prosthetic devices, Int. J. Nanomed., 9 (2014) 3999–4006.
- Chen et al., Silicate bioceramic/PMMA composite bone cement with distinctive physicochemical and bioactive properties, R. Soc. Chem., 5 (2015) 37314-37322. https://doi.org/10.1039/C5RA04646G
- Pahlevanzadeh, H. R. Bakhsheshi-Rad, A. F. Ismail, M. Aziz, and X. B. Chen, Development of PMMA-Mon-CNT bone cement with superior mechanical properties and favorable biological properties for use in bone-defect treatment, Mater. Lett., 240 (2018) 9–12.https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2018.12.049
- BDAIWI, Renforcement of Poly(MethylMethaAcrylate) by ZrO2Y2O3 Nanoparticles Used in Medical Applications, J. Optoelectron. Biomed. Mater., 10 (2018)1-10.
- J. Obeid, F. K.farhan, and E. J. Mohammed, Improving some mechanical properties of the system (PMMA-ZrO2) used in medical applications, J. Adv. Res. Dyn. Control Syst., 10 (2018) 1954–1959.
- Zore, A. Abram, A. Uˇ, I. Godina, F. Rojko, and R. Štukelj, Antibacterial Effect of Polymethyl Methacrylate Resin Base Containing TiO2 Nanoparticles, Coatings, 12 ( 2022) 1757. https://doi.org/10.3390/coatings12111757
- Asgharzadeh Shirazi, M. Ayatollahi, M. Navidbakhsh, and A. Asnafi, New insights into the role of Al2O3 nano-supplements in mechanical performance of PMMA and PMMA/HA bone cements using nanoindentation and nanoscratch measurements, Mater. Technol., 36 (2021) 212–220. https://doi.org/10.1080/10667857.2020.1741939
- Abdullah, H. Jaber, and H. Al-Kaisy, Impact Strength, Flexural Modulus and Wear Rate of PMMA Composites Reinforced by Eggshell Powders, Eng. Technol. J., 38 (2020) 960–966. https://doi.org/10.30684/etj.v38i7a.384
- K. Al-Janabi, M. H. Al-Maamori, and A. J. Braihi, Experimental and Numerical Investigation of PMMA Based Composites used for Bone Cement Application, IOP Conf. Ser. Mater. Sci. Eng., 1090 (2021) 012082. https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899x/1090/1/012082
- Bashir, F. K. Farhan, and H. A. Yasr, Biomechanical Properties of PMMA/Bio glass Ceramic, Ann. Rom. Soc. Cell Biol., 25 (2021) 8859–8866.
- Gamal, Y. Gomaa, and A. Said, Incorporating nano graphene oxide to poly-methyl methacrylate; antibacterial effect and thermal expansion., J. Mod. Res., 1 (2019) 19–23. https://doi.org/10.21608/jmr.2019.14281.1003
- B. of A. Standard, Standard Test Method for Tensile Properties of Plastics, D 638-87 b, 9 (1988) 1–17.
- Annual Book of ASTM Standard, Standard Test Method for Compressive Properties of Rigid Plastics, 2002.
- ASTM D2240-00, Standard method for Rubber Property - Durometer Hardness, Annual Book of ASTM Standarts, 2017.
- Sadeq, S. Salih, and A. Braihi, Development of Surface Roughness and Mechanical Properties of PMMA Nanocomposites by Blending with Polymeric Materials, Eng. Technol. J., 37 (2019) 558–565. https://doi.org/10.30684/etj.37.12a.10
- H. Ahmed and W. M. Salih, Enhancement of the Characteristics for Polymeric Blend (PMMA/UP) Used in Socket Prosthetic, AIP Conf. Proc., 2437, 2022, 020001. https://doi.org/10.1063/5.0096384
- Q. Adnan Hamad, Study of Flexural and Impact Properties of Nanohybrid Composites Materials By Using Poly Methyl Methacrylate (Pmma) Matrix, J. Eng. Sustain. Dev., 23 (2019) 114–127. https://doi.org/10.31272/jeasd.23.3.9
- Basim Abdul-Hussein, F. Abbas Hashim, and T. Raad Kadhim, Effect of Nano Powder on Mechanical and Physical Properties of Glass Fiber Reinforced Epoxy Composite, Al-Khwarizmi Eng. J., 12 (2016) 72–79.
- Email, Study the Effect of Fibers Volume Fraction and their Orientations on the Properties of the Hybrid Composite Materials, Eng. Technol. J., 31A (2013) 2433–2447.
- D. Yu, M. Malinconico,and E. Martuscelli, Highly Filled Particulate Composite Enhancement Of Performances By Using Compound Coupling Agents, J. Mater. Sci., 25 (1990) 3255–3261. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF00587683
- H. Ahmed and W. M. Salih, Mechanical Properties of Acrylic Laminations Resin (PMMA) Reinforced by Natural Nanoparticles and Hemp Fibers, IOP Conf. Ser. Mater. Sci. Eng., 1094 (2021) 012136. https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899x/1094/1/012136
- S. Raja, K. Manisekar, and V. Manikandan, Effect of fly ash filler size on mechanical properties of polymer matrix composites, Int. J. Mining, Metall. Mech. Eng., 1 (2013) 34–38.
- Costa de Medeiros Dantas, J. Paulo da Silva-Neto, T. Souza Dantas, L. Zago Naves, F. Domingues das Neves, and A. Soares da Mota, Bacterial adhesion and surface roughness for different clinical techniques for acrylic polymethy1 methacrylate, Int. J. Dent., 2016 (2016) 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/8685796
- Salih, J. Oleiwi, and H. Ali, Development the Physical Properties of Polymeric Blend (SR/ PMMA) by Adding various Types of Nanoparticles, Used for Maxillofacial Prosthesis Applications, Eng. Technol. J., 37 (2019) 120–127.https://doi.org/10.30684/etj.37.4a.2