Document Type : Research Paper
Polymer and Petrochemical Engineering Dept., Basra University for Oil And Gas – Basra-Iraq.
Materials Engineering Dept., University of Technology-Iraq, Alsina’a street, 10066 Baghdad, Iraq.
Present-day industrial need high surface engineering quality since it deals with many material properties that are applied in modern applications. Autocatalytic plating of material surfaces enhances their mechanical and chemical properties. This study used electroless plating to create (NiP-TiC-SiC) nanocomposite coatings on alumina ceramic under various time and temperature deposition conditions to get the best performances of nanocomposite coatings. Different coating morphologies have been created, as seen in (FESEM) images. The (EDX) results show that the (NPs) were effectively integrated and that the main elements of the coating are nickel and phosphorus. The (XRD) pattern validates the existence of metallic nickel and the phases (NiP, Ni2P, and Ni3P). The hydrophobic properties of the (NiP-TiC-SiC) NCCS generated at (95⁰C for 30 minutes) increased to (127.260). The corrosion behavior was studied via the electrochemical method, which was done in the (3.5 wt%) NaCl at (25⁰C) and the results showed that the addition of (TiC) together with (SiC) nanoparticles shows a significant enhancement in the polarization resistance, the maximum polarization resistance value was obtained for (NiP-TiC-SiC) prepared at (60 minutes 85⁰C) and it is equal to (56.31419 kΩ.cm).
- The morphology of the coating was changed by the addition of nanoparticles.
- The best contact angle was obtained for the coating prepared at (95⁰C for 30 minutes).
- Polarization resistance was improved notably for coating produced at (85⁰C for 60 minutes).
- Farahmandjou and N. Golabiyan, New pore structure of nano-alumina (Al2O3) prepared by sol gel method, J. Ceram. Process. Res., 16 (2015) 237–240.
- Yang, W. Tianhe, Y. Tingting, L. Gang, S. Yangshan, C. Xin, M. Liyun and P. Shou, Preparation of a novel TiN/TiNxOy/SiO2 composite ceramic films on aluminum substrate as a solar selective absorber by magnetron sputtering, J. Alloys Compd., 815 (2020) 152209. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jallcom.2019.152209
- D. Garman, J. M. Johnson, V. Talesara, H. Yang, D. Zhang, J. Castro, W. Lu, J. Hwang and L.J. Lee, Silicon Oxycarbide Accelerated Chemical Vapor Deposition of Graphitic Networks on Ceramic Substrates for Thermal Management Enhancement, ACS Appl. Nano Mater., 2 (2019) 452–458. https://doi.org/10.1021/acsanm.8b01998
- Wang, Y. H. Xu, Z. Y. Cao, C. Yan, K. Wang, J. J.Chen, S.Y.Cheng and Z. S. Feng, A facile process to manufacture high performance copper layer on ceramic material via biomimetic modification and electroless plating, Compos. B. Eng., 157 (2019) 123–130. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compositesb.2018.08.030
- M. Shinyar, L. K. Abbas and A. Kh. Hussein, Optimization of mechanical behavior of (Ni-P) nanocomposite coatings using taguchi approach, Int. J. Mech. prod. Eng. Rese. Dev., 11 (2021) 99-110.
- Z. Ali, L. K. Abbas and A. Kh. Hussein, Optimization of Electroless Ni-P, Ni-Cu-P and Ni-Cu-P-TiO2 Nanocomposite Coatings Microhardness using Taguchi Method, IOP Conf. Ser. Mater. Sci. Eng., 1094 (2021) 012168. https://doi.org/10.1088/1757-899X/1094/1/012168
- Z. Ali, L. K. Abbas and A. Kh. Hussein, Optimization of Corrosion Resistance for Electroless Nano-Coated Carbon Steel Using Taguchi Approach, Int. J. Mech. Prod., 11 (2021) 397-404.
- L. Bosko, N. Ferreira, A. Catena, M. Sergio Moreno, J. F. Múnera, and L. Cornaglia, Catalytic behavior of Ru nanoparticles supported on carbon fibers for the ethanol steam reforming reaction, Catal. Commun., 114 (2018) 19–23. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.catcom.2018.05.019
- Wu, G. Hong, and X. Zhang, Electroless Plating of Graphene Aerogel Fibers for Electrothermal and Electromagnetic Applications, Langmuir, 35 (2019) 3814–3821. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.langmuir.8b04007
- Zhang, Z. Lv, X. Liu, G. Xie, and B. Zhang, Electroless nickel plating on alumina ceramic activated by metallic nickel as electrocatalyst for oxygen evolution reaction, Catal. Commun., 149 (2021) 106238. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.catcom.2020.106238
- K. Gupta, A. Nihore, P. R. Sankar, P. Ganesh, and R. Kaul, An Experimental Study on Electroless Nickel Plating on Alumina Ceramic, Chem. Mater. Eng., 8 (2021) 1–6. https://doi.org/10.13189/cme.2021.080101
- M. Shinyar, A. Kh. Hussein, and L. K. Abbas, A Desirability Function for Evaluation of Corrosion Behavior for Nanocoated- Steel Using Electroless Technique, Eng. Technol. J., 39 (2021) 946–955. https://doi.org/10.30684/etj.v39i6.2009
- Kh. Hussein, L. K. Abbas, and W. Hassan, Optimization of Steel Hardness Using Nanofluids Quenchants, Kufa J. Eng., 10 (2019) 29–43. https://doi.org/10.30572/2018/KJE/100103
- Sameer Kumar, K. Naga Sai Suman, and Y. Kalyana Krishna, Preparation and characterization of electroless ni coated nano alumina powder under different sensitization-activation conditions, Metall. Mater. Eng., 27 (2020) 275–288. https://doi.org/10.30544/467
- Shahzad, E. M. Fayyad, M. Nawaz, O. Fayyaz, R. A. Shakoor, M.K. Hassan, U. M. Adeel, M. N. Baig, A. Raza, A. M. Abdullah, Corrosion and heat treatment study of electroless nip-ti nanocomposite coatings deposited on hsla steel, Nanomaterials, 10 (2020) 1–19. https://doi.org/10.3390/nano10101932
- Aliofkhazraei and A. S. H. Makhlouf, Handbook of Nanoelectrochemistry: Electrochemical Synthesis Methods, Properties, and Characterization Techniques, Springer Cham, 2016 https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-15266-0
- Narasimman, M. Pushpavanam, and V. M. Periasamy, Synthesis, characterization and comparison of sediment electro-codeposited nickel-micro and nano SiC composites, Appl. Surf. Sci., 258 (2011) 590–598. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apsusc.2011.08.038
- A. Xu and C. S. Liang, Effect of deposition time and temperature on the performance of electroless Ni-P coatings, Int. J. Electrochem. Sci., 11 (2016) 8817–8826. https://doi.org/10.20964/2016.10.55
- Kitiwan and D. Atong, Effects of Porous Alumina Support and Plating Time on Electroless Plating of Palladium Membrane, J. Mater. Sci. Technol., 26 (2010) 1148–1152. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1005-0302(11)60016-9
- Farahmandjou and N. Golabiyan, New pore structure of nano-alumina (Al2O3) prepared by sol gel method, J. Ceram. Process. Res., 16 (2015) 1-4.
- H. Prajitno, A. Maulana, and D. G. Syarif, Effect of Surface Roughness on Contact Angle Measurement of Nanofluid on Surface of Stainless Steel 304 by Sessile Drop Method, J. Phys. Conf. Ser., 739 (2016). https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/739/1/012029
- Khodaei and A. M. Gholizadeh, SiC nanoparticles incorporation in electroless NiP-Graphene oxide nanocomposite coatings, Ceram. Int., 47 (2021) 25287–25295. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ceramint.2021.05.250
- M. Fayyad, M. K. Hassan, K. Rasool, Kh. A. Mahmoud, A. M.A. Mohamed, G. Jarjoura, Novel electroless deposited corrosion — resistant and anti-bacterial NiP–TiNi nanocomposite coatings, Surf. Coatings Technol., 369 (2019) 323–333.