Document Type : Research Paper
Production Engineering and Metallurgy Dept., University of Technology-Iraq, Alsina’a street, 10066 Baghdad, Iraq.
Complex geometry components can be produced using FDM-based additive manufacturing (AM). In this study, the compressive and tensile strength were investigated, considering variations in layer thickness (0.2, 0.25, and 0.3 mm), density (40%, 60%, and 80%), and infill pattern (tri-hexagon, zig-zag, and gyroid). The experiment was designed using the Taguchi technique and carried out on a commercial FDM 3D printer, involving nine specimens with different processing settings. The compression standard ASTM D695 and tension standard ASTM D638-02a were used for evaluation. The results indicated that infill density significantly impacted compressive and tensile strength, contributing to 65% and 60% of the variations. Based on the S/N ratio analysis, the optimal parameters for achieving high compressive and tensile strength were 80% infill density, a Gyroid infill pattern, and a layer thickness of 0.3 mm. With these settings, the maximum compression strength reached 45.23 MPa, and the maximum tensile strength was 44.03 MPa. Regression prediction modeling proved to be a powerful tool for predicting the compression and tensile strengths of PLA samples and optimizing the 3D printing process. Accurate and reliable predictions can be achieved by carefully selecting relevant features, preprocessing the data, training, and evaluating the model. These predictions can greatly assist in process design and manufacturing, with a percentage error of approximately 2.79% for compression strength and 3.35% for tensile strength.
- Nine specimens were 3D printed using various parameters and ASTM standards (D695, D638-02a).
- Influence of printing parameters, such as infill pattern, density, and layer thickness, on strength was explored.
- Infill density was found to significantly affect both compressive and tensile strength.
- Budzik, T. Dziubek, A. Kawalec, P. Turek, A. Bazan, M. Dębski, J. Józwik, P. Poliński, Geometrical Accuracy of Threaded Elements Manufacture by 3D Printing Process, Adv. Sci. Technol. Res. J., 17 (2023) 35–45. https://doi.org/10.12913/22998624/157393
- Y. Dakhil, R.M. Salih, A.M. Hameed, Influence of Infill Pattern, Infill Ratio on Compressive Strength and Hardness of 3D Printed Polylactic Acid (PLA) Based Polymer, J. Appl. Sci. Nanotechnol., 3 (2023) 1-7. https://doi.org/10.53293/jasn.2022.4745.1141
- F. Jasim, T.F. Abbas, A.F. Huayier, The Effect of Infill Pattern on Tensile Strength of PLA Material in Fused Deposition Modeling (FDM) Process, Eng. Technol. J., 40 (2021) 1711-1718. http://doi.org/10.30684/etj.2021.131733.1054
- A. Oudah, H.B. Al-Attraqchi, N.A. Nassir, The Effect of Process Parameters on the Compression Property of Acrylonitrile Butadiene Styrene Produced by 3D Printer, Eng. Technol. J., 40 (2022) 189-194. http://doi.org/10.30684/etj.v40i1.2118
- Mwema , F. M. , Akinlabi, E. T. Fused Deposition Modeling: Strategies for Quality Enhancement,Springer Nature, 2020. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-48259-6
- A. Soud, I. A. Baqer, M. R. Ahmed, Experimental Study of 3D printing Density Effect on the Mechanical Properties of the Carbon-Fiber and Polylactic Acid Specimens, Eng. Technol. J., 37 (2019) 128–132. https://doi.org/10.30684/etj.37.4A.3
- M. Othman, T. Fadhil, A. H. B. Ali, Influence of process parameters on mechanical properties and printing time of FDM PLA printed parts using design of experiment, J. Eng. Res., 8 (2018) 2248–9622.
- J. Zubrzycki, E. Quirino, M. Staniszewski, Influence of 3D Printing Parameters by FDM Method on the Mechanical Properties of Manufactured Parts, Adv. Sci. Tecnol. Res. J., 16 (2022) 52–63. http://dx.doi.org/10.12913/22998624/154024
- Vijayaraghavan, A. Garg, J. S. L. Lam, B. Panda, S. S. Mahapatra, Process characterisation of 3D-printed FDM components using improved evolutionary computational approach, Int. J. Adv. Manuf. Technol., 78 (2015 ) 781–793. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00170-014-6679-5
- Jaisingh Sheoran, H. Kumar, Fused deposition modeling process parameters optimization and effect on mechanical properties and part quality: Review and reflection on present research, Mater. Today Proc., 21 (2020) 1659–1672. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2019.11.296
- Khatwani J., Srivastava, V. 2019. Effect of process parameters on mechanical properties of solidified PLA parts fabricated by 3D Printing process, pp. 95–104. Springer, Singapore. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-13-0305-0_9
- Lee, J. Abdullah, Z. A. Khan, Optimization of rapid prototyping parameters for production of flexible ABS object, J. Mater. Process. Technol., 169 (2005) 54–61. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmatprotec.2005.02.259
- K. Sood, R. K. Ohdar, S. S. Mahapatra, Parametric appraisal of mechanical property of fused deposition modeling processed parts, Mater. Des., 31(2010) 287–295. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2009.06.016
- R. Morocho, A. C. Sánchez, M. Singaña, C. Donoso, Effect of the filling pattern on the compression strength of 3D printed objects using acrylonitrile butadiene styrene (ABS), Key Eng. Mater., 834 (2020)115–119. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.834.115
- Asmatulu, A. Alonayni, B. Subeshan, M. M. Rahman, V. K. Varadan, Investigating compression strengths of 3D printed polymeric infill specimens of various geometries, Nano-, Bio-, Info-Tech Sensors, and 3D Systems II, SPIE Proceedings, 10597, 2018. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2296651
- Fernandez-Vicente, W. Calle, S. Ferrandiz, A. Conejero, Effect of infill parameters on tensile mechanical behavior in desktop 3D printing, 3D Print. Addit. Manuf., 3 (2016) 183–192. https://doi.org/10.1089/3dp.2015.0036
- K. Hussein, Multiple performance optimization of carburized steel using taguchi based moora approach, Eng. Technol. J., 36 (2018 )770–776. https://doi.org/10.30684/etj.36.7A.9
- S. Khazaal, H. M. Al-khafaji, and I. A. Abdulsahib, Parametric study on buckling behavior of aluminum alloy thin- walled lipped channel beam with perforations subjected to combined loading, Eng. Technol. J., 39 ( 2021 ) 89–103. https://doi.org/10.30684/etj.v39i1A.1710
- K. Shounia, T. F. Abbas, R. R. Shwaish, Prediction of surface roughness and optimization of cutting parameters in CNC turning of rotational features, Eng. Technol. J., 38 (2020 ) 1143–1153. https://doi.org/10.30684/etj.v38i8A.928
- M. Shaker, M. M. Al-khafaji, K. A. Hubeatir, Effect of different laser welding parameter on welding strength in polymer transmission welding using semiconductor, Eng. Technol. J., 38 (2020 )761–768. https://doi.org/10.30684/etj.v38i5A.368
- S. Raj, A.M. Kuzmin, K. Subramanian, S. Sathiamoorthyi, K.T. Kandasamy, Philosophy of Selecting ASTM Standards for Mechanical Characterization of Polymers and Polymer Composites, Mater. Plast., 58 (2021) 247-256. https://doi.org/10.37358/MP.21.3.5523
- Brischetto, R. Torre,Tensile and Compressive Behavior in the Experimental Tests for PLA Specimens Produced via Fused Deposition Modelling Technique, J. Compos. Sci., 4 (2020) 1-25. https://doi.org/10.3390/jcs4030140
- F. Abbas, F.M. Othman, H.B. Ali, Effect of infill Parameter on compression property in FDM process, Int. J.Eng. Res. Appl., 7 (2017) 16-19.
- R. Torrado, C.M. Shemelya, J.D. English, Y. Lin ,Characterizing the effect of additives to ABS on the mechanical property anisotropy of specimens fabricated by material extrusion 3D printing, Addit. Manuf., 6 (2015) 16-29. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.addma.2015.02.001