Document Type : Research Paper
Civil Engineering Dept., University of Technology-Iraq, Alsina’a street, 10066 Baghdad, Iraq.
Slurry-infiltrated fiber concrete (SIFCON) is a comparatively new and unique steel fiber-reinforced concrete (FRC) form. SIFCON possesses many desirable characteristics, including high strength and ductility. Sustainable concrete is one of the most critical types of concrete for the current environment. An enormous volume of waste rubber tires is produced globally due to the expansion of the automobile industry. This study's primary purpose is to assess the impact of employing pre-treated waste rubber tires in slurry-infiltrated fiber concrete on its flexural and compressive strengths. Based on flexural and compressive strengths, an experimental program was conducted to evaluate the flexural and compressive strengths of SIFCON containing 4% steel fiber and 6%, 8%, and 10% waste rubber. Different pre-treatment methods were used to improve the bonding between the cement paste and rubber particles, including Na(OH) solution, Ca(OH)2 solution, and pre-treatment using Cempatch AB solution. Compressive and flexural strength decreased with increasing waste rubber content, up to 43% and 37% for a 10% waste rubber content, respectively. Moreover, The test results showed that the pre-treatment of chopped rubber with NaOH solution produced the highest values for compressive and flexural strength, giving strong polarity groups to the surface of the rubber and generating a strong chemical interaction between the rubber and the cement matrix.
- Possibility of using waste rubber tires in the production of SIFCON.
- Different pre-treatment methods were used to improve the bonding between the cement paste and rubber particles.
- Waste chopped rubber has caused a decline in the flexural strength of modified SIFCON.
- Pre-treatment of chopped rubber with NaOH solution produced the highest compressive and flexural strength values.
- Bentur and S. Mindess, Fibre reinforced cementitious composites. Crc Press, 2006.
- M. Gilani, Various durability aspects of slurry infiltrated fiber concrete, Ph. D Dissertation in Middle East Technical University, 2007. http://etd.lib.metu.edu.tr/upload/12608753/index.pdf
- Mahadik, S. Kamane, and A. Lande, Effect of Steel Fibers on Compressive and Flexural Strength of Concrete, Int. J. Adv. Struct. Geotech. Eng., 3 (2014) 388-392.
- M. Kadhum, A. M. Hashim, S. S. Khamees, A. H. Akhaveissy, and A. H. Ali, Experimental investigation of fire effects under axial compression on ductility and stiffness of (SIFCON) columns, Struct. Concr., 2021, https://doi.org/10.1002/suco.202100906
- M. Hashim and M. M. Kadhum, Numerical and experimental study of postfire behavior of concentrically loaded SIFCON columns, Struct. J. ACI, 118 (2021) 73-86. https://doi.org/10.14359/51728078
- K. Mohammed, K. F. Sarsam, and I. N. Gorgis, Flexural Performance of Reinforced Concrete Built-up Beams with SIFCON, Eng. Technol. J., 38 (2020) 669-680. https://doi.org/10.30684/etj.v38i5A.501
- Sengul, Mechanical properties of slurry infiltrated fiber concrete produced with waste steel fibers, Constr. Build. Mater., 186 (2018) 1082-1091. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2018.08.042
- Gupta, S. Siddique, R. K. Sharma, and S. Chaudhary, Behaviour of waste rubber powder and hybrid rubber concrete in aggressive environment, Constr. Build. Mater., 217 (2019) 283-291. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2019.05.080
- R. Kamel, A. H. Ali, N. Mahmood, and M. M. Kadhum, Effect of the waste rubber tires aggregate on some properties of normal concrete, Eng. Technol. J., 40 (2022) 275-281. http://doi.org/10.30684/etj.v40i1.2166
- Mohajerani et al., Recycling waste rubber tyres in construction materials and associated environmental considerations: A review, Resour. Conserv. Recycl., 155 (2020) 104679. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2020.104679
- Bisht and P. Ramana, Evaluation of mechanical and durability properties of crumb rubber concrete, Constr. Build. Mater., 155 (2017) 811-817. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2017.08.131
- Liu and L. Zhang, Utilization of waste tire rubber powder in concrete, Compos. Interfaces, 22 (2015) 823-835. https://doi.org/10.1080/09276440.2015.1065619
- A. Mehrani, I. A. Bhatti, N. B. Bhatti, A. A. Jhatial, and M. A. Lohar, Utilization of Rubber powder of waste tyres in foam concrete, J. Appl. Eng. Sci., 9 (2019) 87-90. http://dx.doi.org/10.2478/jaes-2019-0011
- M. Al-Tayeb, B. Abu Bakar, H. M. Akil, and H. Ismail, Effect of partial replacements of sand and cement by waste rubber on the fracture characteristics of concrete, Polym. Plast. Technol. Eng., 51 (2012) 583-589. https://doi.org/10.1080/03602559.2012.659307
- Gupta, S. Chaudhary, and R. K. Sharma, Assessment of mechanical and durability properties of concrete containing waste rubber tire as fine aggregate, Constr. Build. Mater., 73 (2014) 562-574. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.09.102
- Ganjian, M. Khorami, and A. A. Maghsoudi, Scrap-tyre-rubber replacement for aggregate and filler in concrete, Constr. Build. Mater., 23 (2009) 1828-1836. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2008.09.020
- Raghavan, H. Huynh, and C. Ferraris, Workability, mechanical properties, and chemical stability of a recycled tyre rubber-filled cementitious composite, J. Mater. Sci., 33 (1998) 1745-1752. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1004372414475
- Segre, P. J. Monteiro, and G. Sposito, Surface characterization of recycled tire rubber to be used in cement paste matrix, J. Colloid. Interface. Sci., 248 (2002) 521-523. https://doi.org/10.1006/jcis.2002.8217
- Mohammadi, H. Khabbaz, and K. Vessalas, In-depth assessment of Crumb Rubber Concrete (CRC) prepared by water-soaking treatment method for rigid pavements, Constr. Build. Mater., 71 (2014) 456-471. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2014.08.085
- G. Rajan, N. Sakthieswaran, and O. G. Babu, Experimental investigation of sustainable concrete by partial replacement of fine aggregate with treated waste tyre rubber by acidic nature, Mater. Today: Proc., 37 (2021) 1019-1022. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2020.06.279
- M. Al-Tayeb, B. A. Bakar, H. Ismail, and H. M. Akil, Impact resistance of concrete with partial replacements of sand and cement by waste rubber, Polym. Plast. Technol. Eng., 51 (2012) 1230-1236. https://doi.org/10.1080/03602559.2012.696767
- Gupta, R. K. Sharma, and S. Chaudhary, Impact resistance of concrete containing waste rubber fiber and silica fume, Int. J. Impact Eng., 83 (2015) 76-87. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijimpeng.2015.05.002
- B. Najim and M. R. Hall, Mechanical and dynamic properties of self-compacting crumb rubber modified concrete, Constr. Build. Mater., 27 (2012) 521-530. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2011.07.013
- G. Krishnan, Experimental study on slurry infiltrated fibrous concrete with sand replaced by Msand, Int. J. Eng. Res. Technol., 3 (2014) 534-538. https://doi.org/10.17577/IJERTV3IS050722
- Yan, G. Zhao, and F. Qu, Compressive Properties of Slurry Infiltrated Fiber Concrete under Monotonic and Cyclic Loading, HKIE Trans., 6 (1999) 67-69. https://doi.org/10.1080/1023697X.1999.10667795
- Giridhar and P. R. M. Rao, Determination Of Mechanical Properties Of Slurry Infiltrated Concrete (Sifcon), Int. J. Technol. Res. Eng., 2 (2015) 1366-1368.
- Yazıcı, H. Yiğiter, S. Aydın, and B. Baradan, Autoclaved SIFCON with high volume Class C fly ash binder phase," Cem. Concr. Res., 36 (2006) 481-486. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2005.10.002
- Giridhar and P. R. M. Rao, Determination of Mechanical Properties of Slurry Infiltrated Concrete (Sifcon), 2015.
- S. Pradeep.T, Cyclic behaviour of RC beams using SIFCON Sections, Int. J. Innov. Res. Technol. Sci. Eng., 4 (2015).
- S. Rao and N. Ramana, Behaviour of slurry infiltrated fibrous concrete (SIFCON) simply supported two-way slabs in flexure, Indian J. Eng. Mater. Sci., 12 (2005) 427-433.
- Parthiban, K. Saravanarajamohan, and G. Kavimukilan, Flexural Behaviour of Slurry Infiltrated Fibrous Concrete (SIFCON) Composite Beams, Asian J. Appl. Sci., 7 (2014) 232-239.
- Sudhikumar, K. Prakash, and M. S. Rao, Effect of Freezing and Thawing on the Strength Characteristics of Slurry Infiltrated Fibrous Ferrocement using Steel Fibers, Glob. J. Res. Eng., 14 (2014).
- Parameswaran, T. Krishnamoorthy, K. Balasubramanian, and S. Gangadar, Studies on Slurry-Infiltrated Fibrous Concrete (SIFCON), Transp. Res. Rec., 1993.
- Yazıcı, S. Aydın, H. Yiğiter, M. Y. Yardımcı, and G. Alptuna, Improvement on SIFCON performance by fiber orientation and high-volume mineral admixtures, J. Mater. Civ. Eng., 22 (2010) 1093-1101. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)MT.1943-5533.0000114
- Sonebi, L. Svermova, and P. J. Bartos, Factorial design of cement slurries containing limestone powder for self-consolidating slurry-infiltrated fiber concrete, Mater. J., 101 (2004) 136-145.
- C1437-15, Standard Test Method for Flow of Hydraulic Cement Mortar, Annual Book of American Society for Testing Materials Standards, 2015.
- C150/C150M-18, ASTM C150/C150M-18, 2018, doi: https://www.astm.org/Standards/C150.
- C1240-15, Standard specification for silica fume used in cementitious mixtures, Annual Book of American Society for Testing Materials Standards, 2015.
- C. C494M., Standard Specification for Chemical Admixtures for Concrete ASTM International, West Conshohocken, PA., 2017.
- C. C. 109M-05, Standard test method for compressive strength of hydraulic cement mortars (using 2-in. or [50mm] cube specimens, American Society for Testing and Material International, 2016.
- ASTM, Standard test method for flexural strength of concrete (using simple beam with third-point loading), in American society for testing and materials, 100 (2010) 19428-2959.
- Xue and M.-l. Cao, Effect of modified rubber particles mixing amount on properties of cement mortar, Adv. Civ. Eng., 2017. https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/8643839
- F. Rashwan, Effects of pre-treated recycled tire rubber on fresh and mechanical properties of concrete, 2016.
- B. Najim and M. R. Hall, Crumb rubber aggregate coatings/pre-treatments and their effects on interfacial bonding, air entrapment and fracture toughness in self-compacting rubberised concrete (SCRC), Mater. Struct., 46 (2013) 2029-2043.
- Albano, N. Camacho, J. Reyes, J. Feliu, and M. Hernández, Influence of scrap rubber addition to Portland I concrete composites: Destructive and non-destructive testing, Compos. Struct., 71 (2005) 439-446. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.compstruct.2005.09.037
- Li, M. A. Stubblefield, G. Garrick, J. Eggers, C. Abadie, and B. Huang, Development of waste tire modified concrete, Cem. Concr. Res., 34 (2004) 2283-2289. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cemconres.2004.04.013
- Tian, T. Zhang, and Y. Li, Research on modifier and modified process for rubber-particle used in rubberized concrete for road, Adv. Mater. Res., 243 (2011) 4125-4130.
- Balaha, A. Badawy, and M. Hashish, Effect of using ground waste tire rubber as fine aggregate on the behaviour of concrete mixes, 2007.
- Mohammadi, H. Khabbaz, and K. Vessalas, Enhancing mechanical performance of rubberised concrete pavements with sodium hydroxide treatment, Mater. Struct., 49 (2016) 813-827. https://doi.org/10.1617/s11527-015-0540-7
- Deshpande, S, Kulkarni. S, Tejaswinee Pawar and Vijay Gunde, Experimental investigation on Strength characteristics of concrete using tyre rubber as aggregates in concrete, Int. J. Appl. Eng. Res. Dev., 4 (2014) 97-108.
- He, Y. Ma, Q. Liu, and Y. Mu, Surface modification of crumb rubber and its influence on the mechanical properties of rubber-cement concrete, Constr. Build. Mater., 120 (2016) 403-407.
- Youssf, J. E. Mills, and R. Hassanli, Assessment of the mechanical performance of crumb rubber concrete, Constr. Build. Mater., 125 (2016) 175-183. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.conbuildmat.2016.08.040
- Onuaguluchi and D. K. Panesar, Hardened properties of concrete mixtures containing pre-coated crumb rubber and silica fume, J. Cleaner Prod., 82 (2014) 125-131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2014.06.068
- Pelisser, N. Zavarise, T. A. Longo, and A. M. Bernardin, Concrete made with recycled tire rubber: effect of alkaline activation and silica fume addition, J. Cleaner Prod., 19 (2011) 757-763. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2010.11.014
- Elchalakani, High strength rubberized concrete containing silica fume for the construction of sustainable road side barriers, in Structures, 1 (2015) 20-38. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.istruc.2014.06.001