Document Type : Research Paper
Electromechanical Engineering Dept., Faculty of Engineering, University of Samara, Iraq. Mechanical Engineering Dept., University of Technology-Iraq, Alsina’a street, 10066 Baghdad, Iraq.
Mechanical Engineering Dept., University of Technology-Iraq, Alsina’a street, 10066 Baghdad, Iraq.
Experiments are conducted to investigate the heat transfer and pressure drop characteristics of corrugated tubes and rod baffles in a shell-and-tube heat exchanger. One of the effective techniques to improve heat transfer is to use corrugated tubes. This article investigates rod baffles with varied corrugation depths and corrugated tubes for (1 start). In the heat exchanger's shell side, where a constant wall temperature was attained on the tube side, water was employed as the working fluid after being heated at the wall. Corrugation ratios (e/dh) of 0.1 and 0.13, pitch (p) of 10, 20, and 30mm, and two types (x/d) of 1.25 and 1.375 were used. The study was conducted throughout the Reynolds number turbulent range (4,000 to 24,000). The results manifested that the average Nusselt number of the corrugated tubes (pitch-10mm) for (x/d=1.25) increased by 25 and 55 percent for the corrugation depths of 0.1 and 0.13, respectively. The average Nusselt number for (x/d=1.375) is increased by 38% and 59% for the corrugation depths of 0.1 and 0.13, respectively. Nevertheless, the average friction factor of the corrugated tube with (e/dh) = 0.1 and 0.13 is higher than that of the smooth tube by 66% and 130%, respectively, and it decreases as the corrugation pitch and (x/d) are increased. When a corrugated tube and a rod baffle with a corrugated depth (e=2.1mm) and pitch (p=10mm) were used, the thermal enhancement factor was 1.9 for (x/d=1.25) and 1.97 for (x/d=1.375) at the same pumping power.
- A double-pipe heat exchanger was fabricated, employing heated water as the working fluid.
- The Nusselt Number exhibited a notable increase, ranging from 25% to 59%.
- Pressure drops demonstrated a significant rise, with an increase in (e/dh) ranging from 66% to 130%.
- A. Pakhomov and V. I. Terekhov, Numerical modeling of turbulent flow structure and heat transfer in a droplet-laden swirling flow in a pipe with a sudden expansion, Numer. Heat Transfer A. 71 (2017) 721–736. https://doi.org/10.1080/10407782.2017.1308740
- Petracci, M. Luca, and G. Fabio, Numerical simulation of the optimal spacing for a radial finned tube cooled by a rectangular jet. I – average thermal results, Int. J. Therm. Sci., 104 (2016) 54–67. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2016.01.001
- Ravi, L. J. Alvarado, C. Marsh, and D. A. Kessler, Laminar flow forced convection heat transfer behavior of a phase change material fluid in finned tubes, Numer. Heat Transfer A. 55 (2009) 721–738. https://doi.org/10.1080/10407780902864672
- H. Kim, K. E. Jansen, and M. K. Jensen, Analysis of heat transfer characteristics in internally finned tubes, Numer. Heat Transfer A. 46 (2004) 1–21. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10407780490454296
- Shome, Mixed convection laminar flow and heat transfer of liquids in horizontal internally finned tubes, Numer. Heat Transfer A. 33 (1998) 65–83. https://doi.org/10.1080/10407789808913928
- Dandotiya and N. D. Banker, Numerical investigation of heat transfer enhancement in a multitube thermal energy storage heat exchanger using fins, Numer. Heat Transfer A. 72 (2017) 389–400. https://doi.org/10.1080/10407782.2017.1376976
- R. Shabanian, I. Shiva, and T. Hatami, Application of intelligent methods for the prediction and optimization of thermal characteristics in a tube equipped with perforated twisted tape, Numer. Heat Transfer A. 70 (2016) 30–47. http://dx.doi.org/10.1080/10407782.2016.1139982
- Beigzadeh, M. Rahimi, M. Parvizi, and S. Eiamsa, Application of ann and Ga for the prediction and optimization of thermal and flow characteristics in a rectangular channel fitted with twisted tape vortex generators, Numer. Heat Transfer A. 65 (2014) 186–199. https://doi.org/10.1080/10407782.2013.826010
- Ebrahimi and E. Roohi, Numerical study of flow patterns and heat transfer in mini twisted oval tubes, Int. J. Mod. Phys. C. 26 (2015) 1–18. https://doi.org/10.1142/S0129183115501405
- Promthaisong, W. Jedsadaratanachai, and S. Eiamsa-ard, 3D numerical study on the flow topology and heat transfer characteristics of turbulent forced convection in a spirally corrugated tube, Numer. Heat Transfer A., 69 (2016) 607–629. https://doi.org/10.1080/10407782.2015.1069670
- Lu, X. Sheng, J. Ding, and J. Yang, Transition and turbulent convective heat transfer of molten salt in spirally grooved tube, Exp. Therm. Fluid Sci., 47 (2013) 180–185. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.expthermflusci.2013.01.014
- S. Kareem, S. Abdullah, and T. M. Lazim, Heat transfer enhancement in three-start spirally corrugated tube: experimental and numerical study, Chem. Eng. Sci., 134 (2015) 746–757. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ces.2015.06.009
- E. Nakhchi, M. Hatami, and M. Rahmati, Experimental investigation of performance improvement of double-pipe heat exchangers with novel perforated elliptic turbulators, Int. J. Therm. Sci., 168 (2021) 107057. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2021.107057
- Bozkula and H. Demir, Experimental investigation of heat transfer and pressure drop of fin and tube heat exchanger under dry and wet conditions, Int. J. Therm. Sci., 177 (2022) 107580. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijthermalsci.2022.107580
- Toghraie, R. Mashayekhi, H. Arasteh, S. Sheykhi, M. Niknejadi, and A. J. Chamkha, Two-phase investigation of water-Al2O3 nanofluid in a micro concentric annulus under non-uniform heat flux boundary conditions, Int. J. Numer Methods Heat Fluid Flow, 30 (2019) 1795–1814. https://doi.org/10.1108/HFF-11-2018-0628
- A. Marzouk, M. M. Abou Al-Sood, E. M. S. El-Said, M. K. El-Fakharany, and M. M. Younes, Study of heat transfer and pressure drop for novel configurations of helical tube heat exchanger: a numerical and experimental approach, J. Therm. Anal. Calorim., 148 (2023) 1–16. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10973-023-12067-7
- Gugulothu and N. Sanke, Experimental investigation of heat transfer characteristics for a shell and tube heat exchanger, Energy Harvesting Syst., 2023. https://doi.org/10.1515/ehs-2022-0147
- Al-Zahrani, Heat transfer characteristics of innovative configurations of double pipe heat exchanger, Heat Mass Transfer, 59 (2023) 1661-1675. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00231-023-03360-0
- A. Varzaneh, D. Toghraie, and A. Karimipour, Comprehensive simulation of nanofluid flow and heat transfer in straight ribbed microtube using single-phase and two-phase models for choosing the best conditions, J. Therm. Anal. Calorim., 139 (2020) 701–720. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10973-019-08381-8
- Barnoon, D. Toghraie, R. B. Dehkordi, and M. Afrand, Two phase natural convection and thermal radiation of Non-Newtonian nanofluid in a porous cavity considering inclined cavity and size of inside cylinders, Int. Commun. Heat Mass Transfer., 108 (2019) 104285. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.icheatmasstransfer.2019.104285
- Khodabandeh, S. A. Rozati, M. Joshaghani, O. A. Akbari, S. Akbari, and D. Toghraie, Thermal performance improvement in water nanofluid/GNP–SDBS in novel design of double-layer microchannel heat sink with sinusoidal cavities and rectangular ribs, J. Therm. Anal. Calorim., 136 (2019) 1333–1345. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10973-018-7826-2
- A. Cengel, Heat tranfer a practical approach: McGraw-Hill, 2003.
- M. Al-dabagh, Falah F. Hatem, Ibrahim E. Sadiq, Effect of Corrugation Depth on Heat Transfer Enhancement and Flow Characteristics for Corrugated Tubes, J. Univ. Babylon Eng. Sci., 26 (2018) 164-181.
- K. Filonenko, Hydraulic resistance in pipes, Teploenergetika 4 (1954) 40– 44.
- Bergles, A. Blumenkrantz, and J.Taborek, Performance evaluation criteria for enhanced heat transfer surfaces, Heat transfer, 2 (1974) 239-243.