Document Type : Research Paper
Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering Dept., Technical College of Engineering, Sulaimani Polytechnic University, Sulaimani, Kurdistan Region, Iraq.
Aluminum alloy finds strong suitability in automotive, sporting, goods aerospace, and weight reduction industries. Its blend of lightweight attributes and robust strength make it well-suited for crafting lightweight components and structures while upholding overall strength and performance standards. In this research, AA6061-T4 alloy chips underwent a recycling process involving hot extrusion followed by Equal Channel Angular Pressing. The influence of various routes and varied numbers of cycles on microstructure and mechanical characteristics were examined utilizing a die featuring angles of 90° and 20°. Two routes, BC and C, were scrutinized, and the outcomes displayed significant enhancements in properties for the recycled chips after the hot extruded and ECAP techniques. After the fourth run, route BC exhibited a maximum Ultimate tensile strength of 265 MPa, peak yield strength of 149 MPa, and an elongation to failure of 46%. Meanwhile, the corresponding values for route C were 238 MPa, 136 MPa, and 41%, respectively. For two routes, BC and C, every pass led to elevated strength and hardness while also contributing to increased elongation to failure. The microstructures and mechanical characteristics of the ECAPed samples surpassed those of the extruded sample. The routes and pass numbers substantially impacted the microstructures and mechanical properties of the solid-state recycled AA6061-T4 alloy chip specimens. Scanning electron microscopy pictures showcased a honeybee-type pattern following ECAP through route BC, signifying the final stages of grain refinement. At the same time, the initial sample exhibited a fracture tendency with a mix of brittleness and ductility.
- Tensile strength increased substantially by around 67% for route BC, while for route C, it rose by about 50%
- Strength improved significantly, reaching 265MPa and 238MPa for routes BC and C after four passes
- Results showed route BC is most effective for generating UFG materials to refine grains from recycled AA6061-T4 chips
- ECAPed samples with tensile strength rising 67% for route BC and 50% for route C
- Micro-hardness increased 67% after four passes to 79.36 HV, while for route BC, it reached 62.82 after two passes
- J. I. S. R. N. Mukhopadhyay, Alloy designation, processing, and use of AA6XXX series aluminum alloys, 2012 ( 2012) . https://doi.org/10.5402/2012/165082
- Cui, A. Kvithyld, H. J. Roven, Degreasing of aluminum turnings and implications for solid-state recycling, Minerals, Met. Mater. Int. Soc, /AIME, 420 Commonwealth Dr., P. O. Box , 2010.
- Wan, W. Chen, T. Lu, F. Liu, Z. Jiang, M. Mao, Review of solid state recycling of aluminum chips, Resour. Conserv . Recycl ., 125 (2017) 37-47. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.resconrec.2017.06.004
- Aslan, O. S. Sahin, E. Salur, A. Gunes, A. Akdemir, H. B. Karadag, A new method for recycling of metal chips , A. Sci., 4 (2015) 1-12.
- Estrin, A. Vinogradov, Extreme grain refinement by severe plastic deformation: A wealth of challenging science, Acta Mater., 61 (2013) 782-817. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.actamat.2012.10.038
- Z. Valiev, T. Langdon, Principles of equal-channel angular pressing as a processing tool for grain refinement, Prog. Mater. Sci., 51 (2006) 881-981. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmatsci.2006.02.003
- P. Zhilyaev, T. Langdon, Using high-pressure torsion for metal processing: Fundamentals and applications, 53 (2008) 893-979. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.pmatsci.2008.03.002
- Zaharia, R. Chelariu, R. Comaneci, Multiple direct extrusion: A new technique in grain refinement, Mater. Sci. Eng. A ., 550 ( 2012 ) 293-299. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2012.04.074
- Alihosseini, M. Zaeem, K. Dehghani, H. Shivaee, Producing ultrafine-grained aluminum rods by cyclic forward-backward extrusion: Study the microstructures and mechanical properties, Mater. Lett., 74 (2012) 147-150 . https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matlet.2012.01.102
- Su, C. Lu, A. Tieu, G. Deng, X. Sun, Ultrafine grained AA1050/AA6061 composite produced by accumulative roll bonding, Mater. Sci. Eng. A ., 559 (2013) 345-351. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2012.08.109
- Tan, A. A. Kibar, C. H. Gür, Mechanical and microstructural characterization of 6061 aluminum alloy strips severely deformed by dissimilar channel angular pressing, Mater. Charact., 62 (2011) 391-397. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchar.2011.01.016
- O. Sanusi, O. D. Makinde, G. Oliver, Equal channel angular pressing technique for the formation of ultra-fine grained structures : research article, S. Afr. J. Sci., 108 (2012) 1-7. https://hdl.handle.net/10520/EJC127477
- Z. Valiev, I. Sabirov, A. P. Zhilyaev, T. G. Langdon, Bulk nanostructured metals for innovative applications, JOM., 64 (2012) 1134-1142. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11837-012-0427-9
- R. Duflou, A. E. Tekkaya, M. Haase, T. Welo, K. Vanmeensel, K. Kellens, W. Dewulf, D. Paraskevas, Environmental assessment of solid state recycling routes for aluminium alloys: can solid state processes significantly reduce the environmental impact of aluminium recycling, CIRP Ann ., 64 (2015) 37-40. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cirp.2015.04.051
- Baffari, G. Buffa, D. Campanella, L. Fratini, Design of continuous Friction Stir Extrusion machines for metal chip recycling: issues and difficulties, Procedia. Manuf., 15 (2018) 280-286. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.promfg.2018.07.220
- Maziarz, M. Greger, P. Długosz, J. Dutkiewicz, A. Wójcik, Ł. Rogal, K. Stan-Głowińska, O. Hilser, M. Pastrnak, L. Cizek, , Effect of severe plastic deformation process on microstructure and mechanical properties of AlSi/SiC composite, J. Mater. Res. Technol., 17 (2022) 948-960. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmrt.2022.01.023
- M. Agarwal, R. Tyagi, V. Choubey, K. Saxena, P. Technologies, Mechanical behaviour of Aluminium Alloy AA6063 processed through ECAP with optimum die design parameters, Mater. Today. Proc., 46 (2021) 6490-6495. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matpr.2021.03.681
- Baig, A. U. Rehman, J. A. Mohammed, A. H. Seikh, Effect of microstructure and mechanical properties of Al5083 alloy processed by ECAP at room temperature and high temperature, Cryst., 11 (2021) 683. https://doi.org/10.3390/cryst11060683
- C. Gautam, S. Biswas, On the possibility to reduce ECAP deformation temperature in magnesium: Deformation behaviour, dynamic recrystallization and mechanical properties, Mater. Sci. Eng. A ., 812 (2021) 141103. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2021.141103
- Lefstad, K. Pedersen, S. Dumoulin, Up-scaled equal channel angular pressing of AA6060 and subsequent mechanical properties, Mater. Sci. Eng., 535 (2012) 235-240. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2011.12.073
- I. Abd El Aal , The influence of ECAP and HPT processing on the microstructure evolution, mechanical properties and tribology characteristics of an Al6061 alloy, J. Mater. Res. Technol., 9 (2020) 12525-12546. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jmrt.2020.08.099
- Abioye, P. Atanda, G. Osinkolu, A. Abioye, I. Olumor, O. Odunlami, Influence of equal channel angular extrusion on the tensile behavior of Aluminum 6063 alloy, Procedia. Manuf., 35 (2019) 1337-1343. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.promfg.2019.05.020
- I. Ab Kadir, M. S. Mustapa, N. A. Latif, A. S. Mahdi, Microstructural analysis and mechanical properties of direct recycling aluminium chips AA6061/Al powder fabricated by uniaxial cold compaction technique, Procedia. Eng., 184 (2017) 687-694. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.proeng.2017.04.141
- A. Taha, A. T. Abbas, F. Benyahia, H. F. Alharbi, B. Guitián, X. Novoa, Enhanced corrosion resistance of recycled aluminum alloy 6061 chips using hot extrusion followed by ECAP, 2019 (2019) 3658507. https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/3658507
- I. Abd El Aal, M. A. Taha, A. Selmy, A. El-Gohry, H. Kim, Solid state recycling of aluminium AA6061 alloy chips by hot extrusion, 6 (2018) 036525. https://doi.org/10.1088/2053-1591/aaf6e7
- Liang, Z. Zhang, M. Jia, L. Cao, C. Li, H. Gao, J. Wang, D. Zhang, The microstructures and tensile mechanical properties of ultrafine grained and coarse grained Al-7Si-0.3 Mg alloy rods fabricated from machining chips, Mater. Sci. Eng., 729 (2018) 29-36. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2018.05.047
- Gronostajski, H. Marciniak, A. Matuszak, New methods of aluminium and aluminium-alloy chips recycling, J. Mater. Process. Technol., 106 (2000) 34-39. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0924-0136(00)00634-8
- A. Kazemi, R. Seifi, Effects of crack orientation on the fatigue crack growth rate and fracture toughness of AA6063 alloy deformed by ECAP, Mater. Sci. Eng., 733 (2018) 71-79. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2018.07.042
- Zhang, M. Chen, K. Ramesh, J. Ye, J. Schoenung, E. Chin, Tensile behavior and dynamic failure of aluminum 6092/B4C composites, Mater. Sci. Eng, : A .433 (2006) 70-82. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2006.06.055
- Ramachandran, Advances in Aluminium Processing and Its Automotive Application. pp. 28-32.
- Selmy, A. El-Gohry, M. Abd El Aal, M. Taha, Characteristics of solid state recycling of aluminum alloy (AA6061) chips by hot extrusion. 316-323.
- Iwahashi, Z. Horita, M. Nemoto, T. G. Langdon, The process of grain refinement in equal-channel angular pressing, Acta. Mater., 46 (1998) 3317-3331. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1359-6454(97)00494-1
- G. Langdon, The principles of grain refinement in equal-channel angular pressing, Mater. Sci. Eng. A ., 462 (2007) 3-11. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2006.02.473
- Vinogradov, S. Yasuoka, S. Hashimoto, On the effect of deformation mode on fatigue: simple shear vs. pure shear, Mater. Sci. Forum., 584-586 (2008) 797-802. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.584-586.797
- B. Berbon, M. Furukawa, Z. Horita, M. Nemoto, T. G. Langdon, Influence of pressing speed on microstructural development in equal-channel angular pressing, Metall. Mater. Trans., 30 (1999) 1989-1997. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11661-999-0009-9
- Valiev, T. Langdon, Principles of equal, Prog. Mater. Sci., 51(2006) 881-981
- Standard, E8/E8M-16a standard test methods for tension testing, of metallic materials, 2016.
- A. Baharanchi, F. Karimzadeh, M. J. Enayati, Mechanical and tribological behavior of severely plastic deformed Al6061 at cryogenic temperatures, Mater. Sci. Eng., 683 (2017) 56-63. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.msea.2016.11.099
- J. J. o. m. s. Vinogradov, Fatigue limit and crack growth in ultra-fine grain metals produced by severe plastic deformation, J. Mater. Sci., 42 (2007) 1797-1808. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10853-006-0973-z
- Zhang, J. Wang, Q. Zhang, S. Zhang, Q. Shi, H. Qi, Research on grain refinement mechanism of 6061 aluminum alloy processed by combined SPD methods of ECAP and MAC, Mater., 11 (2018) 1246 . https://doi.org/10.3390/ma11071246
- Kadiyan, B. Dehiya, Evaluating the influence of various routes on micro-structure and mechanical properties of AA-6063 after equal channel angular pressing, Mater. Res. Express., 6 (2019) 0865f9. https://doi.org/10.1088/2053-1591/ab2618
- Ciemiorek, M. Lewandowska, L. Olejnik, Microstructure, tensile properties and formability of ultrafine-grained Al–Mn square plates processed by Incremental ECAP, Mater. Des., 196 (2020) 109125. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matdes.2020.109125
- Al-Alimi, M. A. Lajis, S. Shamsudin, N. K. Yusuf, B. Chan, D. D. Hissein, M. H. Rady, M. S. Msebawi, H. Sabbar, Hot extrusion followed by a hot ecap consolidation combined technique in the production of boron carbide (B4C) reinforced With aluminium chips (AA6061) composite, Mater. Technol., 55 (2021) 347–354. https://doi.org/10.17222/mit.2020.177
- Gupta, K. Saxena, A. Bharti, J. Lade, K. Chadha, P. Paresi, Influence of ECAP processing temperature and number of passes on hardness and microstructure of Al-6063, Adv. Mater. Process. Technol., 8 (2022) 1635-1646 . https://doi.org/10.1080/2374068X.2021.1953917
- Shuai, Z. Li, D. Zhang, Y. Tong, L. J. Li, The mechanical property and electrical conductivity evolution of Al–Fe alloy between room temperature and elevated temperature ECAP, Vacuum, 183 (2021) 109813 . https://doi.org/10.1016/j.vacuum.2020.109813