Document Type : Research Paper
Petroleum Engineering Dept., Kerbala University, Karbala 56001, Iraq.
Mechanical Engineering Dept., University of Technology-Iraq, Alsina’a Street, 10066 Baghdad, Iraq.
A significant heat flux affects the efficacy and durability of most equipment. Cooling these devices is the primary concern, prompting specialists to propose and investigate various solutions. For these applications, microchannels are regarded as a possibility. Experiments were conducted in this study to determine the effect of an electroplating coating on the characteristics of a single-phase flow. As the working fluid for the experiments, deionized water was used. During the investigations, a microchannel of 0.3mm width and 0.7mm depth with an average roughness of 18.64 nm was machined; the inlet temperature was maintained at 30°C, and the Reynolds number ranged from 109.2 to 2599. According to the results, the correlation between the fanning friction factor and laminar and turbulent flows can predict experimental findings with high precision. In addition, an increase in the Nusselt number correlates with an increase in the Reynolds number.When compared to a conventional microchannel, the models with an Al2O3 cladding have a fanning friction factor that is much greater. According to the results, a reliable correlation can be used to precisely estimate the friction factor of typical Al2O3-coated microchannels. The results demonstrated that the average value of the maximum thermal performance value was approximately 1.19 at low Reynolds numbers between 240-480 and then decreased as Reynolds numbers increased.
- An experimental study was conducted for single-phase flow in the microchannels.
- The heat transfer performance of materials coated with Al2O3 is enhanced for all Reynolds numbers.
- The fanning friction factor for Al2O3-coated microchannels is 3.65% greater than that of ordinary microchannels.
- Nusselt number of microchannel models coated with Al2O3 was 11.07 percentage points higher than that of the normal microchannel.
- Mudawar, Recent advances in high-flux, two-phase thermal management, J. Therm. Sci. Eng. Appl., 5 (2013) 1-15. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4023599
- M. Harms, M. J. Kazmierczak, and F. M. Gerner, Developing convective heat transfer in deep rectangular microchannels,” Int. J. Heat Fluid Flow, 20 (1999) 149–157. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0142-727X(98)10055-3
- Qu and I. Mudawar, Experimental and numerical study of pressure drop and heat transfer in a single-phase micro-channel heat sink, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf., 45 (2002) 2549–2565. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0017-9310(01)00337-4
- S. Lee, S. V. Garimella, and D. Liu, Investigation of heat transfer in rectangular microchannels, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf., 48 (2005) 1688–1704. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2004.11.019
- Y. Jung and H. Y. Kwak, Fluid flow and heat transfer in microchannels with rectangular cross-section, Heat Mass Transf., 44 (2008) 1041–1049. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00231-007-0338-4
- García-Hernando, A. Acosta-Iborra, U. Ruiz-Rivas, and M. Izquierdo, Experimental investigation of fluid flow and heat transfer in a single-phase liquid flow micro-heat exchanger, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf., 52 (2009) 5433–5446. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2009.06.034
- Mirmanto, D. B. R. Kenning, J. S. Lewis, and T. G. Karayiannis, Pressure drop and heat transfer characteristics for single-phase developing water flow in rectangular microchannels, J. Phys. Conf. Ser., 395 (2012) 13. https://doi.org/10.1088/1742-6596/395/1/012085
- Y. Lin and S. G. Kandlikar, An experimental investigation of structured roughness effect on heat transfer during singlephase liquid flow at the microscale, J. Heat Transfer, 134 (2012) 1–9. https://doi.org/10.1115/1.4006844
- M. Salem, M. H. Elhsnawi, and S. B. Mohamed, Experimental Investigation of Surface Roughness Effect on Single Phase Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer in Micro-Tube, Int. J. Mech. Mechatronics Eng., 7 (2013) 1821–1825. https://doi.org/10.5281/zenodo.1087810
- Tamayol, J. Yeom, M. Akbari, and M. Bahrami, Low Reynolds number flows across ordered arrays of micro-cylinders embedded in a rectangular micro/minichannel, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf., 58 (2013) 420–426. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2012.10.077
- Xing, T. Zhi, L. Haiwang, T. Yitu, Experimental investigation of surface roughness effects on flow behavior and heat transfer characteristics for circular microchannels, Chinese J. Aeronaut., 29 (2016) 1575–1581. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cja.2016.10.006
- Markal, O. Aydin, and M. Avci, Experimental study of single-phase fluid flow and heat transfer characteristics in rectangular microchannels, Isi Bilim. Ve Tek. Dergisi/ J. Therm. Sci. Technol., 38 (2018) 65–72.
- Kumar, M. Islam, and M. M. Hasan, Investigations on Single-Phase Liquid Flow through Semi-Circular Microchannels, Int. J. Appl. Eng. Res., 13 (2018) 6870–6880.
- Huang, H. Li, S. Xia, and T. Xu, Experimental investigation of the flow and heat transfer performance in micro-channel heat exchangers with cavities, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf., 159 (2020) 1-10. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2020.120075
- A. Mohammed and E. M. Fayyadh, Effect of artificial cavities on heat transfer and flow characteristics microchannel, Iraqi J. Mech. Mater. Eng., 20 (2020) 180–192 .
- Alam, W. Li, W. Chang, F. Yang, J. Khan, and C. Li, A comparative study of flow boiling HFE-7100 in silicon nanowire and plain wall microchannels, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf., 124 (2018) 829–840. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2018.04.010
- Wang, Y. Yang, M. He, and H. Qiu, Subcooled flow boiling heat transfer in a microchannel with chemically patterned surfaces, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf., 140 (2019) 587–597. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2019.06.027
- K. Gupta and R. D. Misra, Flow boiling heat transfer performance of copper-alumina micro-nanostructured surfaces developed by forced convection electrodeposition technique, Chem. Eng. Process. - Process Intensif., 164 (2021) 108408. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cep.2021.108408
- Bulut, M. Shukla, S. G. Kandlikar, & N. Sozbir, Experimental study of heat transfer in a microchannel with pin fins and sintered coatings, Practical Heat Transfer, 36 (2023)1-16. https://doi.org/10.1080/08916152.2023.2176566
- R. Özdemir, M. M. Mahmoud, and T. G. Karayiannis, Flow Boiling of Water in a Rectangular Metallic Microchannel, Heat Transf. Eng.,42 (2021) 492–516. https://doi.org/10.1080/01457632.2019.1707390
- G. Kandlikar, S. Garimella, D. Li, S. Colin, and M. R. King, Heat Transfer and Fluid Flow in Minichannels and Microchannels, 2nd Editio. Elsevier, 2014. https://dx.doi.org/10.1016/C2011-0-07521-X
- A. Mohammed, E. M. Fayyadh, Experimental Investigation of Sub-Cooled Flow Boiling in Metallic Microchannel. Eng. Technol. J., 37 ( 2019) 408-415. https://doi.org/10.30684/etj.37.10A.5
- Koşar, C.-J. Kuo, and Y. Peles, Boiling heat transfer in rectangular microchannels with reentrant cavities, Int. J. Heat Mass Transf., 48 (2005) 4867–4886. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2005.06.003
- M. Fayyadh, M. M. Mahmoud, K. Sefiane, T. G. Karayiannis, Flow boiling heat transfer of R134a in multi microchannels. Int. J. Heat Mass Transf., 110 (2017) 422-436. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijheatmasstransfer.2017.03.057
- K. Shah and A. L. London, Laminar Flow Forced Convection in Ducts. Elsevier, Oxford Academic Press, NY, USA, supplement 1 to advance in heat transfer, J. Fluids Eng., 1978. https://doi.org/10.4236/jamp.2014.27073
- J. Phillips, Forced-convection, liquid-cooled, microchannel heat sinks, MSc thesis, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, USA, 1987.
- A. Al-Nakeeb; E. M. Fayyadh, M. R. Hasan. Experimental Investigation of Artificial Cavities Effect of Single-Phase Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer in Single Microchannel, Eng. Technol. J., 40 (2022) 109-119. https://doi.org/10.30684/etj.v40i1.2122
- Shah R.K., and Bhatti M.S. (1987), Laminar Convective Heat Transfer in Ducts” Handbook of Single Phase Convective Heat Transfer, New York:John Wiley.
- Blasius H. (1913), “Das aehnlichkeitsgesetz bei reibungsvorgängen in flüssigkeiten”, Mitteilungen Über Forschungsarbeiten Auf Dem Gebiete Des Ingenieurwesens, Springer, pp. 1–41.